The ICE exchange from London currently trades CO2 credits and Brent Crude as follows:
- EUA spot: € 5.35
- EUA Dec ’17 futures: € 5.32
- CER daily futures: € 0.28
- Brent Crude futures Apr’17: $ 56.010
Green Energy News
The new report “Expect the Unexpected: The Disruptive Power of Low-carbon Technology”, launched last week by Carbon Tracker and the Grantham Institute at Imperial College London, highlights that falling costs of electric vehicle and solar technology could halt growth in demand for oil and coal from 2020.
The report challenges the business as usual approach of companies and finds that:
• EVs could make up a third of the road transport market by 2035, half by 2040 and two thirds by 2050 with 1.7 billion vehicles on the road;
• Growth in EVs could displace 2 million barrels of oil a day by 2025, the same volume that caused the oil price collapse in 2014-15. By 2040 they could displace 16mbd of oil;
• Solar PV could supply 23% of global power generation in 2040 and 29% by 2050, entirely phasing out coal and leaving gas with a 1% market share.
Source: Grantham Institute at Imperial College, London